Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rafting trip

So I survived my two day rafting trip through the jungle.
I am so glad I decided to go. The trip was amazing. I do not have pictures to upload yet but I am working on it. Gorgeous, the whole way was just gorgeous. I mostly enjoyed the jungle canyon, waterfalls, and tropical birds flying overhead…… and the level four rapids. The guides were awesome and very good at their job. One guy fell out of our boat early on and by the time I thought “oh shit he is in the water” the guide had already jumped over all our gear and pulled him back in the boat. I went with a great group of people too, a lot of really good paddlers. One guy had been rafting all over the world and said this trip was in at least his top five. I think it moved up the ranks through out the trip though.
Our campsite for the night was a little "beach" that we had to be prepared to leave at any moment should the water level rise. I was sure we would have to pick everything up in the middle of the night and hike into the jungle because it kept raining. We did not have to though thank god. It would have been a bitch and a half to hike with all our gear.
All of the big rapids were the first day, but we still had some pretty awesome moments and ways to keep things interesting our second day. For example, sitting on the front of the raft and trying to hold on through some level three rapids. I also got to enjoy a couple of nice swims throughout the day. When the water was calm I usually just jumped off the boat and swam about till I had to be pulled in for the next rapid ride.
By the end of the second day we were all rather sore and a little sunburned.
To wrap up the trip we ate dinner at the marquis, Tena's fancy restaurant that has sloths just hanging around in the thatch work. Got to see two of them. Restaurant knows how to entertain its dinner guests.
The next day the other two volunteers and I probably should have taken the day off. Everything hurt. Great improvements today though. I can walk without pain and stairs are only a minor challenge.
Despite the recovery processing I recommend this trip for anyone who makes their way down to Ecuador. Provided of course they come during season. Next weekend is the last trip before the rain makes it too dangerous.

2 comments:

Keith said...

Emily, it is Keith, Janelle's husband. I read your blog once in awhile and I loved hearing about your experience white-water rafting. Janelle also said that she was so sore the next day that she could hardly get on the bus.
disfrutar de su experiencia.

Unknown said...

A very exhilarating account....glad you're back.