Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The brigade has arrived

yo,

It is really hot today. Sun all day long. Hot humid and sticky. Yesterday was the first day of the neurologist brigade. Two EEG techs and two neurologist are here, next week more neurologist will come. It seems here that everyone and there mother has epilepsy, which is what an EEG tests for more or less. Yesterday was a madhouse. I have never seen that many people in the hospital, which is saying something cause normally the place is pretty crazy in the mornings. But yesterday morning the craziness was directed at me. Everyone thought I was a doctor and could get them seen. I was cornered by people telling me they or their child was sick and had come from far away. My place in all this chaos is to translate for the EEG techs, call the next name on the list, and help set up and take down when I can. Unfortunately none of these duties involve deciding who goes when, and I felt like an ass when I had to tell people to wait. Some of them walked three hours from some remote location and then had to take the bus just to sit in a waiting room for 6 hours and do the journey again that night. Having to tell people who had made such a journey that they had to wait was a hard thing to do. Luckily today was much more organized. We managed to see more people in less time and everything stayed relatively calm. Yesterday i was at the hospital from 740 am until 640 pm. Today I got to leave at 330 pm. Let's hope things continue to go this smoothly.

No comments: